Could you please stop it?

I'm sure I would be heavily regretting writing this post in a matter of hours. But I will still go ahead.

It all started this morning when a friend wrote an orkut testimonial for me ( I still dunno what I'm doing on orkut, and why I haven't deleted my account yet. But the funny thing is that it does not seem likely that I would be deleting my account any time in near future). And he wrote the superlative about me being very intelligent and all that. It was still bearable.

It got out of limits when a friend remarked that I asked people for testimonials coz I was certain they would say something similar. Now that really freaks me out.

Sure, it feels so nice to be called intelligent. But come on, why do some people need to tell me the same thing over and over again? I mean I'm a lot more things other than intelligent. And there are millions of people out there who are far more intelligent than I am.

What really adds to this is that I have achieved nothing in life so far. Nothing worthwhile that can be written down on a piece of paper. I do not consider bagging 80% marks by starting off with the syllabus a day before the exam a feat, let alone an intelligent one. There are a thousand different tricks to do it, and I just know a couple of them. It rather seems a foolish thing to do, spending sleepless nights over photocopies and slides where I could have snored peacefully by just starting a week earlier than schedule.

So, every single time someone gives me that terrible compliment, I freak out. It gives me the creeps that the person is trying to flatter me. And given that so many people are prone to do this, it logically means that I'm flattered very easily. You see how foolish that makes me feel? I now know why a blonde doesn't like being called a blonde and a babe doesn't like being called a babe.

What can you do? Nothing really. Or if you want to do something, better give me a testimonial that doesn't have the words - intelligent, genius, thinker and like. It doesn't matter whatever else you write. I'll accept it and that's a promise.

P.S. If you have managed to read this crap till the end, I'm surprised. Do me another favor and forget what you have read.

5 comments:

Richa said...

lolz, we have discussed thing already :D

how i hate being flattered and how u hate being called intelligent :D

Mahul Bhattacharya said...

@ Divya: Thanks a lot! I'm honored.

Mahul Bhattacharya said...

@ Richa: Yeah, I know you understand, but others don't. And there lies my problem.

Rakesh said...

buddy i feel we as human being should be able to differentiate between compliments given by friends..
We at the back of the mind would know who actually means when they compliment.
and yes have been through this intelgent thing myself..people sadly determine intelengence through marks one scores and not by what they have achieved

Mahul Bhattacharya said...

Do we really know what people feel about us?? I don't think so.

All we can see is what people are willing to show us. But I feel that under this, there lies a lot we have no idea about.